Saturday, September 7, 2013

Moving into September

It was an incredibly busy week at Highland Park.  Seriously.  Meetings, meetings, then added more meetings based on the previous meeting outcomes.  I think we've all had those kind of weeks, all productive, all good, with lots and lots of planning happening.  I'm continually amazed how committed teachers and staff are to doing the right thing and giving their all.  I know we are very fortunate to have such great folks who work with students each and every day.  Here and everywhere in AISD. 

Adding to our current staff line-up are two new people who have joined our ranks.  First is Sam Lockley, our newest custodian.  Sam has been a custodian in AISD for over 15 years, hails originally from Richmond, VA, with Middlesex HS being his alma mater.  He is a proud grandfather and also tells me that not only is he an avid cyclist - 20 miles every weekend - but is also a certified professional pool player!  He is a member of a professional team in Round Rock and has even played in Las Vegas.  Pretty cool.








We are also pleased that Markeshia Dunston has joined us to round out our After School Childcare staff.  Markeshia tells
me she "grew up in Stephenville, TX where I attended and graduated from Stephenville High School.  I attended Stephen F. Austin State University.  While attending, I was a track and field athlete and competed in the shot-put, hammer throw and discus.  I majored in psychology and sociology...for the past 3 years I worked in mortgage.  Since moving to the great city of Austin only 2 months ago, I decided to pursue a career in education.  Outside of work I love spending time with my family, friends, and dog as well as attending sporting events and good eateries." Glad you are here Markeshia.


Finally, just know that we continue on with our curriculum refinement work, PTA board is rocking and rolling as always - HOOT is a 'comin - and we are in active planning and implementation mode for our continued arts integration/creative classroom professional development days.  Plus finishing up the all important teacher observational pre-conferences and visiting classrooms.  Lots happening, but all good days as we move into September.